Saturday, August 14, 2010

Yoseftal Street

Yoseftal Street
In the past week, whether it was at the small party at the community center, or on different Sherut's, or in the Shuk, the fact that I am American has been noticed. Imagine that! I have been bombarded with questions, where am I from? What am I doing here? How long will I be in Israel and why don't I speak any Hebrew? Will I learn Hebrew? I answer these questions to the best of my ability, explaining that Yale is much too expensive a school to even consider attending back home, and that I live in Ramla, Israel. This is a huge surprise to most Israeli's, and they want to know what I'm doing there. Most of the time, when I explain that I am volunteering, they nod their heads, and agree that Ramla indeed needs a lot of work. It makes me feel good to know that I am in a place where I can actually do some good.

Ramla is beautiful in it's own way. The buildings are different... they rise from the ground, sitting on stilt like poles. We live right across from a bakery, a Shwarma shop, and a very small convenience store. The Shuk is just a short twenty minute walk. From what I understand, our apartment building is very centrally located. Yesterday, the smells coming from our building as our neighbors got ready for Shabbat were incredible and I now feel as if I have to learn how to cook a proper Shabbat dinner. 

Across from our building.
Perhaps for me the one thing that will take some getting used to is the fact that this is a city, and that there are cars, trucks and people everywhere. I have never seen so many people! At night, the sounds never stop, and the city barely sleeps, even on Shabbat. The noises are something that in time I will get used to, and in time, as my Hebrew gets better, will understand.

1 comment: