Sunday, September 12, 2010

Shana Tova!

Jeep Trip in the Negev Desert
What a special time to be in Israel. Rosh Hashana has just passed, Yom Kippur and Sukkot are on the way, and I am literally sitting in the midst of celebration. People are wearing white, wine is being served, and families are opening their homes to strangers, the mitzvah of mitvahs. 

Rachel and I spent Rosh Hashana in Be'er Sheva, the largest city in the Negev Desert, with the Rinot family. I have never felt more welcome. Dinner was about 25 people deep, and the majority of them were English speakers, which was nice for us. Though we want to practice our Hebrew as much as we can, sometimes it is a nice break to hear your native tongue. The food was excellent, and the company was even better. The Rinot's have three daughters, and I believe that I asked them about as many questions as they asked me. I cannot wait to see them again. 

Before swimming
We spent the night in Be'er Sheva and the next day embarked on a "jeep trip". Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a fear that runs deep, to my core, of car accidents. I hate fast cars, I hate risky drivers, and I'm absolutely terrified of getting hurt in an accident. Now, my mother will tell you that I have a heavy foot, and she is right. I guess I just trust that that same foot can pound the break just as quick. Anyways, I have been slowly getting over this fear... I really have no choice since I am constantly putting my life into the hands of the Sherut drivers, and we all know how fast they drive. So, on the second day of Rosh Hashana, I went on a jeep trip. We toured the Negev Desert by way of off-roading, and it was amazing. It absolutely blew my mind that not only were there trails through the desert, but that those I was with knew how to navigate those trails. Eventually, we stopped for a quick rest and took a 1 kilometer walk to a ravine, where we found water. Naturally, we swam. It was the first cold body of water that I found in Israel, and it felt amazing. 

I am so grateful that I got to spend Rosh Hashana in Israel, and that I got to spend it with such an amazing family. The entire experience, from spending time with their daughters, to dinner, to meeting so many people, to off-roading, was more than I could have ever asked for. I cannot wait to experience the rest of the holidays in Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment